Collage

Collage

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Play things for Playing House Letter B


Gathering Play Things while Playing House – continues with the letter “B.”  My favorite letter of the alphabet next to “T.”  LOL…



I remember my first crush on blue and white items.  My grandmother  (Granny) had a Blue Willow tea cup and saucer sitting above her sink in her apartment kitchen.   I have very fond memories of visiting her and arriving to the smell of her “tea cake” cookies baking.  Oh my oh my!  



Blue and white items slowly entered my life.  I never thought of it as a collection, but obviously I am drawn to it.  I’ve had many everyday dish sets over our married life.  I finally received the Blue Willow dishes for everyday use.  Even now, having moved on to Fiestaware’s plain white dishes, I can’t let go of my blue and white set.  In our new home, my collection settled into a cupboard in our guest room. 
















Another “B” collection, that “arrived” lately, is my gathering of Bibles, previously owned by other family members.  When downsizing (or sadly emptying) a grandparent or parent's home you run across Bibles from shelves or cupboards.  You’ll set them aside.  What to do with them?  Their end should not be at half-price stores, or donations to agencies, and even to the church.  They belonged to a family member; it’s hard to let go.  That family member carried the Bible, held it in their lap, marked favorite verses, maybe shed a tear on a page.  So, I don’t let go.  I have one belonging to my husband's maternal great-grandmother.  I have those of parents, grandparents, my children, and even those of my youth.  I suppose I am still gathering as my husband gave me a “study Bible” a few years back while I was in the throes of several Bible study classes.  It’s the best one for me now for reference and reading.  

Before ancestry.com, there was the family Bible, bottom one.  It was a wealth of information for the paternal side of the family.

 
Found this printed ribbon tucked into the great grandmother's Bible.


Looking forward to the Letter C ---

Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment